November 22, 2012

Full of Thanks

There are so many things we all have to be grateful for. The Lord has blessed me beyond what I deserve in so many aspects of my life, and I am reminded of these blessings very often-not just on the day of thanks. But this year, was very different from all the other thanksgivings I've had. It was my first thanksgiving away from my family, and my first thanksgiving as a fiance.

Today, I found myself replaying memories of the last couple of years and looking at how much has changed year to year.

2010: Thanksgiving in Dallas with my parents, sister (with cale in her tummy), and brother-in-law. It worked out well for me that we were in Dallas because my long-distance boyfriend would be there with his family- and I got a WEEK in the same city with him!

2011: Thanksgiving in KC with my parents, sister, brother-in-law, 7 month old nephew, and my boyfriend. He had to work the next day, and couldn't go home until Friday night. It was his first Thanksgiving away from his family, but we were so thankful to have him be with us!

2012: Thanksgiving in KC with my fiance and family-friends, the Hovelsruds, who I consider to be family.  We are so grateful to have people who love us well, and take us into their home to celebrate and be family with.

2013 (*Lord-willing): Thanksgiving with my husband, who knows what city, and who with!

Looking over the last couple of years and at least the next year to come, Lord willing, change is written all over it. Change is so good, so healthy, and such a time the Lord uses to teach. But. Change is hard. and sometimes unwanted. But thanks to the heart of our God, and his mercy He gives us daily, He uses all experiences (especially change) to bring us closer to Him.

I am so thankful for a God that loves me, regardless of the number of times I mess up. I am thankful for my fiance,that the Lord saw it fit that we prepare for marriage together, and the loving, servant-hearted man Brett is. I am thankful for my family, the love and the deep relationships we have. I am thankful for my health, for my limbs and that I can exercise. I am thankful for my education, that I get to study something I love and one day, Lord-willing, practice in a field I am passionate about.

God will always use times to help us become more like Him and bring us closer to Him, so that we may love and live in the way He hopes for us. I am so thankful for our God. He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment